Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Shake the Bottle

Authentic. I've been thinking a lot about that word. One of my favourite definitions carries with it the connotation of having been verified, proven, supported.

For the last several years, I have had the singular privilege of working with an absolutely amazing vocalist, performer, mentor, and friend. At every turn, Lynn has been there to show me the path that leads to a more fulfilling life of creativity. It hasn't been an easy path and I'm sure that there are some who look on the twists and turns and shake their heads, thinking "This time, she's really gone off the deep end." I can't explain why this path is so important to me. Part of it is, quite frankly, because it is who and what I am. I am a musician. I am also a writer, and a photographer.

Recently, my creative path has taken something of an unexpected twist. For the first time in my life, I'm actually considering leaving behind the rock-steady (if frequently stressful) world that I've known for the past several years and venture out into something a lot less stable. I'm becoming increasingly protective of my time and energy. I find myself increasingly resentful of intrusions into my creative time. I want to spend more and more of my waking hours doing things that feed the creative,not drain it. And in the midst of all this, I find myself increasingly anxious to just get going.

So what does this have to do with being proven or supported? Only this. Art needs to be supported, not only by those who appreciate it, but by the people who create it. If my art is to be authentically my art, I have to carve out the time and the energy to let it flourish. And if I can somehow get out of my own way? Well, then the sky's the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment